Which mobile provider has the Cheapest Prepay Mobile Bundles in Ireland?
Updated July 2023.
Around one third of all mobile phone users in Ireland still use Pre-Pay or “Pay as You Go” mobile plans (PAYG).
(33% in 2022 according to a Comreg survey)
It can be very easy to lose track of just how much your prepaid phone usage is costing you. If you just keep getting €10 or €20 Euro top-ups on your phone or at a shop – those amounts can soon mount up. But – PAYG has it’s advantages because you don’t end up with unexpected bills at the end of the month.
In 2019, the average spend per pre pay mobile customer in Ireland was €20.43 a month ear. Pre-paid mobile phone customers in Ireland spent less than bill pay customers – with average monthly prepay charges of €20.43 compared to a €37.95 monthly average for bill pay mobile customers.
If you are regularly spending over €25 a month on your mobile phone charges – you should be looking into changing your provider or your plan.
A SIM-only bill pay option can work out cheaper than PAY as You Go. Most providers do them with short 30 day contracts. You can compare prices on Switcher.ie
Summary of the Cheapest Prepay Mobile Bundles
These prices are for pre-pay “bundles” – they usually last for a month or 4 weeks then you have to top up again.
- Lycamobile has a cut-price bundle that is just €7.50 a month for the first 3 months (€15 after that). It includes 25GB data , unlimited calls and unlimited texts. For €20 you can get unlimited data,calls and texts.
- Tesco Mobile has a €15 top-up deal that gets you unlimited calls to any network, 100Gb of data and 500 texts and 500 minutes of calls. (Unlimited calls and texts to Tesco Mobiles)
- Eir : For a €20 monthly top-up you get unlimited data plus either unlimited texts or unlimited calls to all networks including landlines. (Fair usage 5000 mins and 5000 texts).
- Three have a bundle for €20 that gets you “Unlimited” data , unlimited texts to any network and free calls just to phones on the Three network for 28 days. plus 60 mins of calls to any other network
- Vodafone has a €20 bundle of 100 mins of calls and unlimited texts to any network plus Unlimited data .
It also might be worth looking at our page about the Best SIM only Plans Ireland
Network Coverage and internet speed – can vary across different providers in different parts of the country. Rural areas usually have poorer coverage. You probably shouldn’t be relying on mobile phone internet in rural areas of Ireland for heavy usage such as video or music streaming.
You might also be interested in our comparison of Home Phone and Broadband in Ireland
Also – check out our Top Money Saving Tips
Mobile Companies Revenue : According to ComReg – the combined retail revenue of the mobile phone companies in Ireland was over €1.5 Billion Euro in 2017. That income was generated by about 4 billion text messages and over 12 billion voice minutes plus over 340 Terabytes of data from 5.8 million mobile phones. (There are more mobile phones in Ireland than people!)
Prices checked July 2023