The Minimum Wage in Ireland in 2020 is €10.10 per hour.
The Low Pay Commission recommended the minimum wage level should rise by 30 cents per hour for adults. But -it was delayed by a month due to concerns about a no-deal Brexit ! It increased on 1st Feb 2020.
Minimum Wage Rates Ireland 2020 (From Feb 1st 2020)
- Aged under 18 : – €7.07 per hour (70%)
- Aged 18 : – €8.08 per hour (80%)
- Aged 19 : – €9.09 per hour (90%)
- Aged 20 or more : – €10.10 per hour
Someone aged 20 or more on the minimum wage working full time (39 hours a week) would take home just €363 a week.
More here about the Minimum Wage in Ireland 2020
The Minimum Wage in Ireland was last increased on January 1st 2019. It went up by 25 cents per hour, from €9.55 to €9.80 per hour .
New laws were then introduced on March 4th 2019 – which meant that minimum wage rates are now based purely on age and not on any previous work experience or training.
These are the Minimum Wage Rates that applied in Ireland from 4th March 2019 to January 31st 2020
- Aged under 18 : – €6.86 per hour (70%)
- Aged 18 : – €7.84 per hour (80%)
- Aged 19 : – €8.82 per hour (90%)
- Aged 20 or more : – €9.80 per hour
New rules also mean that if a casual/part-time employee is called to work and sent home without receiving the hours expected, the employee is entitled to a minimum payment of three times the national minimum hourly wage.
These are the minimum wage rates that applied from Jan 1st 2019 to March 3rd 2019
- Experienced adult worker €9.80 per hour
- Over 19 and more than 1 but less than 2 years since began first job €8.82 per hour. (90%)
- Over 18 and less than 1 year since began first job €7.84 per hour. (80%)
- Aged under 18 €6.86 per hour (70%)
(An experienced adult worker – for the purposes of the National Minimum Wage Act – is an employee who has an employment of any kind in any 2 years over the age of 18.)
Government figures show that there are 151,800 employees (i.e. 8.9% of all employees) currently on the minimum wage.
If you think your employer is not paying you the minimum wage you can contact the Workplace Relations Commission, O’Brien Road, Carlow.
Tel – (059) 917 8990