There are 9 public holidays in Ireland each year. Some people refer to them as Bank Holidays – but not all Bank Holidays are also Public Holidays.
A Bank Holiday is a day on which the banks are closed. BUT – all bank holidays are not Public Holidays.
The next bank holiday in Ireland in 2021 will be Wednesday 17th March.
What Date is Easter in 2021?
Aas you will see from the list below Easter Sunday is April 4th 2021
Public Holidays in Ireland in 2021
Unless stated – all the dates below are both Public and Bank Holidays in Ireland in 2021
- Friday, Jan 1st 2021. New Year’s Day
- Wednesday 17th March 2021 – St Patricks Day
- Friday 2nd April 2021 – Good Friday (Bank Holiday – Not a Public Holiday
- 5th April 2021 – Easter Monday
- May 3rd 2021 – May Day Bank Holiday
- Monday, June 7th 2021- June Bank Holiday
- August 2nd 2021 – August Bank Holiday
- Monday, October 25th 2021 – October Bank Holiday
- Saturday 25th December 2021 – Christmas Day
- Sunday 26th December 2021 – St Stephens Day
- Monday 27th December 2021 – (Banks closed – not a Public Holiday)
- Tuesday 28th December 2021 (Banks closed not a Public Holiday)
When a public holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, some people assume that the following Monday is treated as a public holiday. But this is not the case.
Public Holidays – Workers rights:
If a public holiday falls on a weekend, workers do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. When this happens – some employers might treat the Monday as a public holiday but your employer can require you to attend work on that day.
If a public holiday falls on a day which is not a normal working day for a business (for example, on Saturday or Sunday), employees are still entitled to the benefit for that public holiday.
When this happens you are entitled to one of the following
- A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
- An additional day of annual leave
- An additional day’s pay