Home Insurance in Ireland is not compulsory – but if you have a mortgage your lender will insist on buildings insurance being in place.
Even if you don’t have a mortgage, it is wise to have home insurance so you can claim to repair or replace buildings, contents and valuables if there is a burglary, fire or other damage.
We carried out a Home Insurance Price Comparison in April 2023
The price comparison involved getting quotes for 1 year of buildings and contents insurance from five different insurers on the same property. Accidental damage cover was included.
The property used for the insurance quotes was a 4-bed detached house in Galway with a rebuild cost of €280k including contents of €28k.
All the house insurance quotes included an excess of €250 except for Aviva and An Post which had an excess of €275.
Cheapest Home Insurance
The cheapest home insurance quote from the 5 companies we tried was from Zurich.
It was €420 cheaper than the most expensive quote we obtained.
Zurich quoted €455 for a year.
This price was obtained using a special discount offer from One Big Switch .
(You can easily sign up fro free to get this offer at One Big Switch)
The Zurich quote included:
- 24/7 Home Emergency Assistance with up to 4 free callouts per year. (Covers up to €300 per call out.)
- Personal possessions cover outside the home up to €2,000. (single item limit €750.)
- Cover of home office equipment of up to €4,000.
Other Home Insurance Quotes
- Allianz Quoted €500 (via Switcher with €100 discount.)
- Aviva Insurance €802
- An Post quoted €840
- Axa provided the most expensive quote at €865