Credit Cards in Ireland with introductory interest-free offers or low interest for new customers : Updated August 2018 .
Most of the banks in Ireland have special introductory credit card offers for new customers which usually mean a few months of interest free credit. These offers can be useful if you have a large balance on an existing credit card and the new card provider is offering zero interest on balance transfers.
- Chill Money (Mastercard) – offer 9 months 0% interest on balance transfers. Apply Here
Bank of Ireland offer 7 months interest free credit on balance transfers – OR 0% for 6 months on purchases (Mastercard). Apply Here .
(If you have income of €40,000 plus – you can apply for the BOI Platinum card which also comes with pretty good free travel insurance.)
- Avant Card is giving 6 months at 0% on purchases PLUS 0% for 3 months on transfers and 0% for 9 months on money transferred from the card to your current account. (Mastercard)
- PTSB are offering 0% interest on balance transfers for 6 months plus 0% on purchases for 3 months. (Visa)
- KBC’s credit card is interest free for 6 months just on balance transfers. (Mastercard)
- Ulster Bank’s Gold Mastercard Card offers 0% interest for 6 months on purchases and 3.9% for 12 months on balance transfers.
- AIB’s best offer is a rate of 3.83% on both balance transfers and purchases – for 12 months
Remember that any lower introductory rate on balance transfers only applies to your pre-existing balance amount. You will usually pay the regular interest rate (which will be higher) on any additional purchases on the new card. You will also still be expected to pay a minimum payment each month .
If you can’t get a credit card or don’t want one – you can get a debit card from all the main banks. With a debit card the money is taken from your account straight away. In Ireland , there is no difference between the consumer protection against fraud or non supply of goods provided by credit cards or debit cards.
A great debit card for spending abroad is the N26 Mastercard – there are no extra fees when making purchases in non Euro currencies. N26 is an online bank .Read more here about N26 Bank Account compared to other Irish banks.
Tip : If you are switching all your debt from one credit card to another – don’t forget to write to your old credit card company asking them to close your account and cancel your card. If you’ve already paid stamp duty in the current tax year, then they will send you confirmation that your account is now closed. Send this to your new credit card provider so you are not charged stamp duty twice in the same year.