There are 9 public holidays in Ireland each year. Some people refer to them as Bank Holidays – but not all Bank Holidays (when banks are closed) are also Public Holidays.
The next Bank Holiday in Ireland will be March 18th 2019.
Full List of Bank Holidays in Ireland 2019
A Bank Holiday is a day on which the banks will be closed. BUT – all bank holidays are not Public Holidays.
Unless stated – all the dates below are both Public and Bank Holidays .
- New Years Day Tuesday Jan 1st 2019
- Sunday 17th March 2019 – St Patricks Day
- Mon 18th March – Bank Holiday NOT a Public Holiday
- Friday 19th April 2019 – Good Friday (Bank Holiday – Not a Public Holiday)
- Monday 22nd April 2019 – Easter Monday
- Monday May 6th – May Day
- Monday June 3rd 2019- June Bank Holiday
- Monday August 5th 2019 – August Bank Holiday
- Monday October 28th 2019 – October Bank Holiday
- Wednesday 25th December 2019 – Christmas Day
- Thursday 26th December 2019 – St Stephens Day
- Friday 27th December 2019 – (Banks closed – not a Public Holiday)
- Wednesday Jan 1st 2020
When a public holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday – many people assume that the following Monday is treated as the public holiday. But this is not the case.
Workers rights : Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, workers do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. When this happens – some employers will be treating it as a public holiday but your employer can require you to attend work on that day.
When/if this happens you are entitled to one of the following (unless you are a part-time employee):
- A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
- An additional day of annual leave
- An additional day’s pay