There are 9 public holidays in Ireland each year. Some people refer to them as Bank Holidays – but not all Bank Holidays (when banks are closed) are also Public Holidays.
List of Bank Holidays in Ireland 2018
A Bank Holiday is a day on which the banks will be closed. BUT – all bank holidays are not Public Holidays.
Unless stated – all the dates below are both Public and Bank Holidays .
- New Years Day Monday Jan 1st 2018
- Saturday 17th March – St Patricks Day
- Mon 19th March – Bank Holiday NOT a Public Holiday)
- Friday 30th March 2018 – Good Friday (Bank Holiday – Not a Public Holiday)
- Monday 2nd April 2018 – Easter Monday
- Monday May 7th – May Day
- Monday June 4th 2018 – June Bank Holiday
- Monday August 6th 2018 – August Bank Holiday
- Monday October 29th 2018 – October Bank Holiday
- Tuesday 25th December 2018 – Christmas Day
- Wednesday 26th December 2018 – St Stephens Day
When a public holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday – many people assume that the following Monday is treated as the public holiday. But this is not the case.
Workers rights : Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, workers do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. When this happens – some employers will be treating it as a public holiday but your employer can require you to attend work on that day.
When/if this happens you are entitled to one of the following (unless you are a part-time employee):
- A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
- An additional day of annual leave
- An additional day’s pay