There are 9 public holidays in Ireland each year. Some people refer to them as Bank Holidays – but not all Bank Holidays (when banks are closed) are also Public Holidays.
The next Bank Holiday in Ireland will be Monday October 29th 2018.
Full List of Bank Holidays in Ireland 2018
A Bank Holiday is a day on which the banks will be closed. BUT – all bank holidays are not Public Holidays.
Unless stated – all the dates below are both Public and Bank Holidays .
- New Years Day Monday Jan 1st 2018
- Saturday 17th March – St Patricks Day
- Mon 19th March – Bank Holiday NOT a Public Holiday)
- Friday 30th March 2018 – Good Friday (Bank Holiday – Not a Public Holiday)
- Monday 2nd April 2018 – Easter Monday
- Monday May 7th – May Day
- Monday June 4th 2018 – June Bank Holiday
- Monday August 6th 2018 – August Bank Holiday
- Monday October 29th 2018 – October Bank Holiday
- Tuesday 25th December 2018 – Christmas Day
- Wednesday 26th December 2018 – St Stephens Day
When a public holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday – many people assume that the following Monday is treated as the public holiday. But this is not the case.
Workers rights : Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, workers do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. When this happens – some employers will be treating it as a public holiday but your employer can require you to attend work on that day.
When/if this happens you are entitled to one of the following (unless you are a part-time employee):
- A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
- An additional day of annual leave
- An additional day’s pay