Irish Stamp Duty Rates in 2021
All house purchases in Ireland are liable for stamp duty.
Any Stamp Duty exemptions for house purchases were removed in December 2010.
Stamp Duty Rates on Residential Property Purchases in Ireland 2021.
- 1% stamp duty on properties valued under 1 Million Euro
- For properties valued over €1 million, a stamp duty rate of 1% applies to the first €1 million and a rate of 2% applies to the balance.
|House Price||Stamp Duty|
(Prior to December 2010 there was zero Stamp Duty on houses below €125,000, 7% stamp duty on the next € 875,000 and 9% on the balance.)
A Residential property for Stamp Duty purposes is defined as :
- a building, or part of a building, used, or suitable for use, as a dwelling, in the course of being built, or adapted for use, as a dwelling
- had been built or adapted for use as a dwelling, and had not since been adapted for any other use
- the area attached to the residential property (for example, the garden or yard), excluding the site of the residential property up to one acre.
(Any area in excess of one acre is classed as non-residential property).
Residential property includes a derelict or uninhabitable house.
If you pay VAT on a house, you are only pay stamp duty on the price of the house before VAT.
So, for example,: a new house costing €340,500 (including VAT.
Made up of a base price of €300,000 plus 13.5% VAT (€40,5000).
In this case, stamp duty is due on the base price of €300,000 at 1% – which is €3000.
Note : VAT on residential property:- If you buy a brand new house from a builder or developer, you will pay VAT at 13.5%.
If you buy a “second hand” or existing property, you do not have to pay VAT.
More information on conveyancing and legal costs when buying a house in Ireland
Stamp duty on non-residential property.
The stamp duty rate on the purchase of non-residential property in 2021 is 7.5% . It increased from 6% to 7.5% in 10 October 2019.
However, land used to develop dwelling units may qualify for a stamp duty refund of up to two-thirds of the Stamp Duty paid.
More on Stamp Duty Refunds Here
Stamp Duty Rates in Ireland on Stocks and Shares
Stamp Duty is also payable on the purchase of shares.
Irish Shares – Stamp Duty is charged at 1%
UK Shares – Stamp Duty is 0.5%
USA Shares – No Stamp Duty
More information here about Buying Shares in Ireland
You might also be interested in this information on Inheritance Tax in Ireland