Grants for Home Improvements for Pensioners

Financial assistance of up to €8000 Euro is available via local authorities in Ireland under a scheme called “Housing Aid for Older People” .

The Grants for Home Repairs for Pensioners are for people aged 66 years or older, who are living in poor housing conditions.
(In cases of genuine hardship a local authority may also assist people under age 66.)
The grants are means-tested. (See Below)

You should apply for the scheme as early in the year as possible as many local authorities run out of funding as early as May although some councils keep a small emergency fund for extreme cases.

This means-tested grant is paid for essential work to privately-owned homes where the older person either:

  • Owns the home, or has a right to live in the home where the work will be done.

What Work is Covered ?

All the local authorities have different guidelines regarding the type of work they will award grants for.   You should check with your own local authority to see which types of work they will cover.  In general , only essential repairs that make a property habitable will be covered under the scheme.   This would typically include things such as :

  • Roof repairs or re-roofing
  • The provision of water, sanitary services
  • Provision of central heating
  • Re-wiring
  • The replacement of windows or doors will be considered on a case-by-case basis and only those considered essential will be replaced under the scheme. (Some councils seem to exclude door and window replacement from their grant schemes – but it may be worth applying and appealing if you get refused)

Who Qualifies?

It is a means-tested grant.  The maximum grant of 95% of the cost of works (Maximum of  €8000)  can be given to households where the total annual household income is less than €30,000.  (That is €576 a week)
So a single person or a couple on just a full state pension would easily qualify under income rules.

Many welfare benefits are disregarded when calculating household incomes.

The grant is also prioritised on medical needs.  People for whom alterations or adaptations would facilitate their discharge from hospital or the continuance of care in their own home will get the highest priority .
The local authorities have a fixed budget to spend and they decide who gets it. There is an appeal process.

How Much Is The Grant?

  • Households with income under €30,000  can get 95% of the cost ( Max €8000)
  • Households with income from €30,000 – €35,000  can get 85% of the cost ( Max €6,800)
  • Households with income from €35,001 – €40,000  can get 75% of cost (Max €6,000)
  • Households with income from €40,001 – €50,000 can get 50% of the cost (Max €4,000)
  • Households with income from €50,001 – €60,000 can get 30% of the cost (Max  €2,400)
  • Households with income over €60,000 a year do not qualify.

Contact your Local Authority to get a claim form and to find out more details.
You can also download a claim form Here

The total funding provision for 2023 for Private House Grants, which includes these Housing Grants for Older People and People with a Disability and other schemes such as the Thatching grant, is €67 million, an increase of €2 million on the 2022 provision.

Figures Checked June 2023

More Grants and Help Available For Energy Costs

Grants for Insulation

Grants for Heat Pumps

Grants for Solar Panels

Fuel Allowance

Electricity Allowance Scheme

13 thoughts on “Grants for Home Improvements for Pensioners

  1. I would like to know more about grants for repairs, I live in the North Cork area.

  2. Hi. I contacted my local Authority which is Dublin City Council on behalf of my elderly father. I asked about a grant for Window repair or Replacement.DCC have informed me that DCC does Not give grants for Windows or Doors. Just to let people be aware.

    • THanks Sandra. Did they give any clues as to what type of things they would pay for?

      • No to be honest although it’s a DCC hub she didn’t know much about any grants and directed me to Citizens Advice Centre. She rang Head office in DCC to try and get information and they said no to window replacement .Also SEAi redirected me back to DCC. It’s very frustrating when people answering phones in these places are not up to speed on what’s available. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

      • According to the DCC website they only cover re-wiring, installing central heating (where none exists) and the replacement of a boiler that is broken beyond repair.
        Just for comparison –
        Fingal Council will cover roof repairs , rewires and new central heating.

        Cork Co Council cover re-roofing, re-wiring and the provision of central heating (where none exists).

      • obviously staff in citizens information centres are not familiar with these schemes . I enquired earlier today and it took ages and some phone calls to get the relevant information. but i got the information in the end ..

  3. We are over 60 with one relative in the household over 66 and respiratory problems due to inefficient central heating. Daytime temperatures 14-16C. My husband retires onto state pension in a few months and we have only just learnt of these LA and SEAi grant schemes. I am over 60, disabled, due to an injury and we were going to apply for a grant for necessary work, bathroom conversion walk in shower etc, stair hand rails. We also need to address the heating eg single to double glaze rebates, as well as external cavity wall insulation to improve on the heat, as well as upgrade to a 20 yr oil boiler, ramps to two external doorways. If possible surfacing to a worn uneven gravelled drive/path that is hard to walk on safely for me to avoid damaging an existing injury of three years duration. The heating this winter or lack of efficiency has caused a chronic continuous chest infection to the relative, and the cold coming in through the single glazing has been severe. we cannot afford to put the heating on all day only a couple of hours morning and evening. My question is this, We are not sure which grant to apply under to the LA for all or some of this work and we would not be able to afford the cost of all the work under either the HRI or SAEi as the conditions are at present. We certainly cannot fund the work needed to assist mobility and also keep ‘well and warm’ and we do not know at present our income level and or whether we will be granted the fuel allowance? We are on medical cards. What is certain is facing into another winter at possible health risks and reduced accessibility.

Comments are closed.