There were some large increases in the cost of living in 2022 and the Irish government introduced some financial help aimed at families and those on fixed incomes like pensioners and people on social welfare including carers and people with disabilities.
More Cost of Living Payments in Winter 2023
Further cost of living payments were announced in Budget 2024 .
See our page on Budget 2024 Ireland .
These are the extra one-off payments that will be made in late 2023 and early 2024.
- €300 to people getting Fuel Allowance in the week beginning November 20th 2023
- Once-off payment of €400 in the week commencing 20th November 2023 to people getting Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension, Blind Pension, Carer’s Support Grant and Domiciliary Care Allowance.
- €400 in the week beginning November 20th 2023 to people getting the Working Family Payment
- €100 in the week commencing November 27th to people who get a social welfare payment with an increase for a qualified child.
- €200 to people getting the Living Alone Allowance in the week commencing November 27th
- A payment of €400 to all carers receiving the Carer’s Support Grant in the week commencing 27th November 2023
- Double payment of Child Benefit for each child on 5th December 2023
- There will also be a once-off double payment of all weekly social welfare payments (including pensions) in the last week of January 2024. This will be on top of the regular Christmas Bonus that is due in the week beginning 4th of December 2023.
- All domestic electricity customers will get €450 credit on their electricity bills. The credit will be paid in 3 instalments of €150. These payments will be made between December 2023 and April 2024.
Previous Cost of Living Payments in 2023
- A €200 one-off “bonus” payment was made during April 2023 to all long-term social welfare recipients. It was paid to primary recipients of the payments who received the Christmas Bonus.
The bonus was paid during the week beginning April 24th 2023 to over 1.3 million recipients and cost approximately €261 million.
- 158,000 people with disabilities received the €200 payment on Wednesday 26th April
- 53,500 Carers and almost 40,000 households in receipt of Working Family Payment got the €200 lump sum payment on Thursday 27th April
- almost 611,000 pensioners received their €200 payment on Friday 28th April.
- A lump sum child benefit payment of €100 per child was paid in June 2023. There is a possibility of another lump sum payment of child benefit before Christmas 2023. This could be announced in Budget 2024.
- There was a one-off increase of €100 per child in the 2023 Back to School Allowance.
One-off cost of Living Payments made in 2022
There was a double weekly payment of most weekly social welfare benefits and state pensions in October 2022. This was called the “Autumn Cost of Living Double Payment”. This double week payment was made in the week beginning October 17th 2022 .
Double payment of the children’s allowance was made on November 1st 2022.
All fuel allowance claimants got a one-off lump sum of €400 on 14th November 2022.
Living Alone Allowance claimants got a one-off lump sum of €200 on November 14th 2022.
Working Family Payment claimants got a €500 lump sum on November 14th 2022.
A lump sum of €500 for those on disability allowances, invalidity pension and blind pension was paid on November 14th 2022.
A lump sum of €500 for those on the carers’ support grant was paid on November 21st 2022.
A double monthly Student Grant payment was paid on 16th December 2022
There was also a credit of €600 on all household electricity bills. It was paid in three separate credits of €200 each for November , January 2023 and March 2023. More details about Electricity Credits .