It was confirmed in Budget 2022 that a 100% Social Welfare Christmas Bonus will be paid again in 2021.
When Will the Christmas Bonus 2021 be Paid ?
The Christmas bonus for weekly pensions and welfare benefits will be paid out between December 6th and December 10th 2021. It will be paid along with your normal weekly payment on the usual payment day.
If you are getting Domiciliary Care Allowance, the bonus will be paid with your monthly December 2021 payment.
How Much is the Christmas Bonus?
The 2021 Christmas Bonus will be 100% of your usual weekly pension or benefit payment.
That means all eligible recipients will get a bonus amount equal to their normal weekly payment paid in addition to the normal weekly payment.
The minimum Christmas Bonus payment is €20 .
In 2017 the Christmas bonus was 85% of the normal weekly rate. In 2018, it was put back up to 100% and was 100% in 2019 and 2020.
Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance Bonus
If you are getting a Jobseeker’s payment you are entitled to the Christmas bonus if:
- your claim has been in payment for 104 days or more, or have been in receipt of a combination of qualifying payments for 104 days.
- you are receiving the payment for the week 1 – 7 December for Jobseekers Allowance or 2 – 8 December for Jobseeker’s Benefit.
Casual Jobseeker claimants :
For casual job seekers the total payment days must exceed 103 to qualify for the bonus.
For example – someone working 3 days and claiming jobseekers for 2 days a week .
They would need 104 days of previous payments (about 52 weeks) to get the bonus. If you get a bonus it should be paid a week after everyone else
Christmas Double Payment Week
This Christmas Bonus should not be confused with the usual “double week” of weekly welfare and pension payments that is paid out just before Christmas. This double payment week happens because of the bank and post office closures. It is then followed by a week with no payments. The 2021 double week is expected to be the week beginning December 20th 2021 . Monthly payments are not affected.
More details on the Double Payment Week To Follow
Who Will Get The Christmas Bonus in 2021?
A List of all Pensions and Benefits that will be eligible for the 2021 Christmas Bonus .
- Back to Education Allowance in some cases
- Back to Work Enterprise Allowance
- Back to Work Family Dividend
- Blind Pension
- Carer’s Allowance
- Carer’s Benefit
- Community Employment Schemes
- COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment in some cases
- Daily Expenses Allowance
- Deserted Wife’s Benefit and Allowance
- Disability Allowance
- Disablement Benefit
- Domiciliary Care Allowance (paid on 15 December)
- Farm Assist
- Guardian’s payments (Contributory and Non- Contributory)
- Invalidity Pension
- Job Initiative
- Jobseeker’s Allowance ( long term)
- Jobseeker’s Allowance in some cases
- Jobseeker’s Benefit in some cases
- Jobseeker’s Transition Payment
- Magdalene Commission Scheme
- One-Parent Family Payment
- Partial Capacity Benefit
- Part-time Job Incentive
- Rural Social Scheme
- State Pensions (Contributory and Non- Contributory)
- Supplementary Welfare Allowance
- Widow’s/Widower’s/Surviving Civil Partner’s Pensions (Contributory and Non- Contributory)
The Christmas bonus will only be paid to anyone who is getting one of the payments listed above.
FIS / Working Family Payment is not eligible, nor is Illness Benefit or Maternity Benefit .
Please do not ask us why – we don’t set the rules.
The 2021 Christmas Bonus is not due on the Fuel Allowance or Rent Allowance.
UK Christmas Bonus
The Christmas Bonus for pensioners in Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK is just £10. This bonus is only payable to pensioners and people getting disability or