In Budget 2021 it was confirmed that the Christmas Bonus will be paid again this year.
What Date will the Christmas Bonus 2020 be Paid ?
The Christmas bonus for pensions and welfare benefits is expected to be paid out between November 30th and December 4th 2020. (There is a small possibility it could be the week after.) It will be paid along with your normal payment on the usual day.
Is The Pandemic Payment Eligible?
This year, the Christmas Bonus will be paid to people in receipt of the Pandemic Unemployment Payment. (As long as they have been getting it for at least 4 months.)
Those people on Jobseekers Benefit or Jobseekers Allowance will also get the Christmas Bonus this year if they have been in receipt of it for 4 months or more. In previous years the qualification limit was 15 months.
How Much is the Christmas Bonus ?
The Christmas Bonus in 2020 will be 100% of your usual weekly pension or benefit payment.
So – all eligible recipients will get a bonus equal to their normal weekly payment.
The minimum Christmas Bonus payment is €20 .
In 2017 the Christmas bonus was 85% of the normal weekly rate, then in 2018, it was put back up to 100%. The cost of a paying this 100% Bonus is estimated at €350
Christmas Double Week
This Christmas Bonus should not be confused with the usual “double week” of welfare and pension payments that is paid out just before Christmas. This double payment week happens because of the bank and post office closures. It is then followed by a week with no payments. The 2020 double week is expected to be in the week beginning December 14th 2020 .
Who Will Get The Christmas Bonus 2020?
A List of all Pensions and Benefits that will be eligible for the 2020 Christmas Bonus .
- State Pensions and Widow’s/Widower’s/Surviving Civil Partner’s Pensions
- Invalidity Pension, Blind Pension, Disability Allowance, Carer’s Allowance, Carer’s Benefit, Partial Capacity Benefit, Disablement Benefit, Domiciliary Care Allowance and Guardian’s payments.
- One-Parent Family Payment, Long-term Jobseeker’s Allowance, Jobseeker’s Transition Payment, Deserted Wife’s Benefit and Allowance and Farm Assist.
- Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, Community Employment, Rural Social Scheme, TÚS, Gateway and Job Initiative, Supplementary Welfare Allowance, Daily Expenses Allowance, Magdalene Commission Scheme.
Back to Education Allowance (people coming from jobseeker’s payments need to be on their payment and/or BTEA for 15 months)
- This year only , recipients of the Pandemic Unemployment Payment and equivalent recipients of Jobseeker’s Payments who have been on these payments for four months or more. The cut off date is usually the last week of November – so you will need to have been on PUP/Jobseekers since the end of July.
The Christmas bonus will only be paid to anyone who is getting one of the payments listed above.
FIS / Working Family Payment is not eligible, nor is Illness Benefit or Maternity Benefit .
Please do not ask us why – we don’t set the rules.
The Christmas Bonus is not due on the Fuel Allowance or Rent Allowance.
UK Christmas Bonus
The Christmas Bonus for pensioners in Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK is just £10. This bonus is only payable to pensioners and people getting disability or