Household Charge Court Case Saga

There is (as far as we are aware) just one ongoing court case involving the Household Charge . Back in Nov 2012   Mayo Co Council issued a summons  against a Peter Anthony (Tony) Keegan in relation to six units in Westport, for  failing to make a declaration of the household charge..

Mr Keegan  – did not appear in  court but he had written to the Council’s solicitor stating that he awaited his ‘invitation against proof of claim’. Judge Devins said that because it was the first case in the Republic she was not prepared to hear it in his absence.

The case was adjourned, to appear before Westport District Court on December 20th 2012 .

On December 20th 2012 Mr Keegan informed Judge Conal Gibbons that he had  issued proceedings in the High Cort on December 5 last and in an affidavit he says the defendants are in breach of the European Convention of Human Rights..

Judge Conal Gibbons said it was ‘the right of everyone’ to challenge matters like this and said the prosecution at district court level would have to be adjourned, pending the High Court challenge. He adjourned it to March 7 th 2013
The High Court case was thrown out. See  here www.moneyguideireland.com/hight-court-challenge-to-household-charge-failed.html
Mr. Keegan appeared in court in Westport on 7th  March 2013   and  told Judge Devins he wanted the cases against him, which relates to six properties, to go ahead , but the Judge said she wanted all other related  cases to be heard together. Judge Devins adjourned all cases to April 4th 2013.

On April 4th  2013  the case was again put  back until May 2nd 2013  because of an impending  High Court appeal of the case.Along with Mr Keegan’s case, the non-declaration of the Household Charge against a Mr John Joe Duffy, Ballinrobe, was also moved to May 2nd.

On May 2nd the case was delayed again until July 4th . Judge Mary Devins made the decision after being informed that Mr Keegan’s High Court appeal was not lodged in time and an application to extend time had as of yet, not been lodged.

On July 4th 2013 – Peter Anthony (Tony) Keegan  appeared again before Westport District Court sitting in Castlebar  –  but the matter was put back to November 7th after Judge Mary Devins heard of two challenges Mr Keegan has lodged. He has made a second High Court challenge and an appeal to the Supreme Court .

Mr Keegan was in court and was represented by James Hanley, instructed by John McCarthy Solicitors in Cork. Mr Keegan had previously represented himself.

We will have to wait until November to hear the latest. Meanwhile – there could be as many as 500,000 people who have still not paid the Household Charge. From July the 1st the original €100 becomes €200 and any outstanding amount will be added to PropertyTax liability and collected by Revenue.

More Here About Unpaid Household Charge

Full Details of the Household Charge

Comments are closed.