Price Comparison of Broadband and home phone bundles in Ireland.
Updated December 2016
The choices of broadband and home phone packages in Ireland has increased in 2016 as Fibre broadband gradually spreads across the country.
Fibre can give broadband speeds of up to 100Mbps – compared to the maximum 24Mbps on copper phone lines (DSL) . The basic monthly charge may look good – but you need to take account of the phone usage which can bring the overall charge much higher – especially if you make calls outside the contracted “bundle” .
If you have access to cable (Virgin) or Fibre Broadband (check here) – these are the top five cheapest prices for unlimited broadband data and unlimited phone calls to landlines . (All speeds are “upto” 100 Mbps)
1. The Cheapest Fibre broadband bundle that we could find that matched these criteria was from Pure Telecom – costing €492 in year one. The monthly charge is €45 , reduced to €29 for the first 3 months. They use the Eircom fibre network – so the availability and connection quality etc. should be the same as Eir – but the price is lower. (Eir charge €70 a month for a very similar bundle but with calls to mobiles also included) . Switching to Pure Telecom would save €348 in the first year for an Eir customer).
2. Virgin Media (only available in larger cities and towns ) have a broadband and phone bundle with upto 240Mb speed and anytime calls to Irish landlines for €50 a month (reduced to €30 for first 4 months) .
This would cost €520 in the first year. (12 month contract). Full Details and option to Sign Up Here
3. Vodafone’s best fibre broadband deal : with speeds of upto 100Mb in most urban areas , unlimited downloads and free calls to landlines costs €50 a month (reduced €40 for first 6 months) . This comes to a total of €540 in year one. More details can be found at Switcher.ie
4. Sky : Sky have a Fibre Unlimited 12 month introductory offer with up to 100Mb , unlimited broadband plus free anytime calls to landlines in Ireland and NI plus 20 other countries for €52.50. One year contract. (Increases to €62.50 per month in year two.) Total cost in year one will be €630 . More details and Sign up Here
5. Eir – the best fibre broadband deal from Eir is currently costing €720 in year one. With unlimited downloads and free anytime calls to Irish landlines and mobiles (€70 a month reduced to €30 for the first 3 months). It also includes free calls to UK landline as well as Eir Sport. You can see more details of this bundle and compare it to others from Eir HERE
If you are not in an areas covered by Fibre here are some of the cheaper options available: (Speeds “upto” 24 Mbps)
These are the best monthly prices for bundles with unlimited phone calls to landlines and unlimited broadband data.
Magnet is not as well known as Eir or Sky or Vodafone – but they are the third biggest supplier of broadband to business customers in Ireland. They also provide broadband to residential customers – and currently they have the lowest priced deal . Magnet’s cheapest unlimited broadband package costs €39.99 a month with a reduced price of €29.99 for the first 3 months. That works out at €449.88 in the first year.
Speeds of upto 24Mb and free calls to landlines are included. They say that unlimited means unlimited – there are no caps or fair usage limits. It is not available nationwide – but Magnet seems to be available in most cities and large towns. You can check availability and compare prices in your area on the very useful Switcher.ie site
Pure Telecom currently offer the second cheapest deal in this category – with a monthly fee of €45 (3 months at €29) – with a total cost in the first 12 months of €492. It is an 18 month contract. Details and Option to BuyOnline here
In third place , based on lowest price , is Vodafone :- Unlimited downloads , all calls to landlines and speeds upto 24Mb. They charge €50 a month with a reduced price of €40 for six months. Over the first year it works out at €540 – (18 month contract) . More details Here
The next cheapest unlimited broadband deal from Sky is priced at €52.50 a month with the first year working out at €630. It is a 12 month contract and it also includes free anytime calls to Irish landlines and landlines in 20 other countries *. Speeds up to 24Mbps. You don’t need to have TV from Sky to sign up for their phone and broadband packages . Visit the sky website here
Eir (previously Eircom) charge €70 a month for unlimited broadband and anytime calls to landlines and mobiles . New customers get the first 3 months at €30 – so in the first year it would cost €720.
More information on Eir broadband bundles Here
* Sky Anytime packages includes free anytime calls to landlines in these countries Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and USA (also includes calls to mobiles in Canada and USA) . This would be a big attraction for people with friends and family living overseas.