Third Level students in Ireland can get a six month Free Trial of Student Amazon Prime.
You can sign up for the free trial here on the Amazon Prime Student Sign Up Page .
Amazon Prime now includes FREE priority (2 day) delivery to Ireland . No minimum order value applies for free delivery in Ireland – but all the items ordered have to be eligible for Prime.
Free next-day delivery in the UK is also included.
During the Covid crisis deliveries of some items will be delayed.
Amazon Prime for Students in Ireland also comes with access to Prime Video with hundreds of free films and TV programs for streaming. The number of videos available to Prime members in Ireland is not a big as it is for UK based members – but hey… it’s free for 6 months. Ideal to help relieve the boredom if you are stuck at home in lockdown.
If you are not a student but you have someone in your family that is a student – why not get them to sign up for the free Student Prime trial and ask them to order all your shopping with free priority delivery?
It is possible to add several different payment cards on Amazon – for example, a student could add his parents’ credit card as a payment method. Alternatively – the parents could send the student an Amazon gift card to cover the cost of the purchases.
The free Student Prime trial is definitely available to students who are studying in the Republic of Ireland.
Don’t worry if at first glance it seems that the free trial is just for students at UK universities –
When you are asked for your “.ac.uk” email address you can enter your edu.ie email address if you have one instead . (See below if you haven’t got one.) . ( This probably means that employees of third level institutes in Ireland could also apply for Student Prime )
After the 6 months trial is over – Prime membership will cost £3.99 per month for Students. (This is half the normal non-student price.) You can easily cancel the trial just before the 6 months is up and you won’t have to pay anything.
Amazon Prime Music is not included with Amazon Prime for Irish residents. If you want to get Amazon Music Unlimited it will cost £9.99 a month. (Free 1 month trial HERE)
Non-students in Ireland can get a shorter 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime (More about that here.) But if you have a student in the family – maybe just get them to sign up for the 6 month free trial – and they can do the ordering for you!
To sign up for and use Amazon Prime Student, you must
- be aged 18 years or older,
- be a student enrolled in a higher education institution located in the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland,
- be able to provide proof of enrolment upon request,
- have a valid academic e-mail address that contains the domain suffix .edu.ie if you’re a student in the Republic of Ireland or ac.uk if you’re a student in the UK. Note –If you do not have an e-mail address containing the suffix .edu.ie or .ac.uk , you can still sign up for Prime Student. (see below)
If you don’t have a .edu.ie email address then Amazon will accept any one of the following:-
- a confirmation letter from your university or college
- a tuition bill for the current term. must include institution name, course details and start date, student address)
- a tuition invoice for the current term with your name and your institution’s name on it.
- an official acceptance letter for the upcoming term ( printed on official institution headed paper and include student name and address, course details and enrolment date, expected graduation/completion date).
Full details can be found when you go through the signup.
When Amazon determines you’re eligible, they will send you a follow-up e-mail within 3-5 business days that contains a link which allows you to complete the sign-up process.
Apply for your six-month free trial here – On the Amazon Prime Student sign up page
Top Tip: If you are spending quite a bit online at Amazon or other UK or USA websites you should think about signing up for an account at N26 – the online bank. The N26 debit card has no fees when spending in non-Euro currencies. The main Irish banks will charge you as much as 3% on all non-euro debit card purchases.
Another debit card that does not charge fees when spending outside the Eurozone is available from Revolut.
The bunq travel card is another payment card with no fees on spending outside the Eurozone.
See more information here about why you should not use Amazon’s Currency Converter
More details here about Debit card charges when buying in the UK